Latest research on Epoetin

Human erythropoietin with 2 aa substitutions to enhance glycosylation (5 N-linked chains), 165 residues (MW=37 kD). Produced in Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells by recombinant DNA technology.

Latest findings

Of these, 24 patients received an ESA other than DA (Epoetin alfa n=20, Epoetin beta n=1, Epoetin zeta n=3) and, of these, nine patients (Epoetin alfa n=6, Epoetin beta n=1, Epoetin zeta n=2) received another ESA and had baseline and week 9 Hb and QoL assessments. [source, 2016]
To be included in the maintenance phase, patients should be optimally titrated with the reference Epoetin (stable hemoglobin in the target range with a stable Epoetin dose) for a suitable duration of time. [source, 2016]
Thereafter, study subjects are randomized to either the biosimilar or the reference Epoetin [1]. [source, 2016]
All residents (without age restriction) who received a first prescription of an Epoetin during the study period and without prescriptions in the previous 6 months (incident users) were included in the analysis. [source, 2016]
No information was available on the indication (e.g., chronic kidney disease or cancer) for the Epoetin prescription or on drug use during hospitalization. [source, 2016]
On the basis of the first prescription, subjects were classified as users of reference Epoetin, of biosimilar Epoetins, and of other patented Epoetins. [source, 2016]
Switching was defined as any transition between (substitution of) different products in a series of two prescriptions; switching might concern different substances (e.g., Epoetin alfa vs. Epoetin beta) as well as different products of the same substance (e.g., Binocrit® vs. Retacrit®; reference vs. biosimilar Epoetins). [source, 2016]
This analysis was performed including users with at least two prescriptions and distinguishing between users of reference Epoetin, biosimilar Epoetins, and other patented Epoetins. [source, 2016]
Two sensitivity analyses were conducted: by year of the first prescription; and, in patients who had more than one Epoetin dispensed, after the first switch during the study period (to describe the characteristics of the second switch). [source, 2016]
When switched from the reference Epoetin (n = 68), the majority of subjects (n = 42; 61.8 %) received one of the other patented Epoetins and 38.2 % (n = 26) received one biosimilar Epoetin (Table 2). [source, 2016]