Latest research on Ustekinumab

CNTO 1275 is the experimental name for the human immunosuppressive drug ustekinumab developed by the biotechnology company Centocor. It is a laboratory-manufactured, monoclonal antibody directed against interleukins IL-12 and IL-23 and presently undergoing clinical trials to determine its safety and effectiveness against the diseases Multiple Sclerosis, Psoriasis, and Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ustekinumab dosage

The primary end point of ACR20 response was not reached; however, for improvement of DAS28 as a secondary end point, a significant difference was observed for patients receiving Ustekinumab as well as for the higher dosage group of CNTO 1959. [source, 2015]
The study comparing Ustekinumab with etanercpet showed Ustekinumab’s superiority to high-dose etanercept in managing of moderate-to-severe psoriasis (Griffiths et al. 2010). [source, 2015]
However, the case reported of successful treatment of acrodermatitis of Hallopeau, a severe and often refractory form of pustular psoriasis affecting distal fingers and toes, required co-therapy with Acitretin and higher than standard doses of Ustekinumab in order to achieve Complete clinical resolution [151]. [source, 2015]
In the case of Ustekinumab, for those patients weighing more than 100 kg the base-case scenario assumed that a double dose was used (90 mg) as described in the respective SPC. [source, 2015]
In particular, the model parameters which varied were the mean weight of patients (±10%, mean 80.7 kg, maximum 89.0 kg, minimum 73.0kg), the dosage schedule for Ustekinumab (45 mg for all patients), the holiday period for the intermittent use of etanercept (10 months on treatment/2 months off treatment cycles), and the percentage of etanercept patients starting at 2×50 mg weekly (50%, 75%) for the first 3 months of therapy. [source, 2015]
On the other hand, for Ustekinumab (weight-based dosing) and etanercept (different starting regimens, continuous or intermittent use), dose variations may be applicable as per the relevant SPC. [source, 2015]
It was estimated from the field research that 25% of patients undergoing Ustekinumab therapy received the dosage of 90 mg every 12 weeks, while the remaining 75% received 45 mg every 12 weeks. [source, 2015]
For example, the previous analysis did not include the additional drug cost for patients receiving 90 mg of Ustekinumab (ie, those weighing over 100 kg); furthermore, it assumed that all patients starting on etanercept receive the 50 mg biweekly dose and that all etanercept patients receive continuous treatment (ie, no intermittent dosing schedule). [source, 2015]
Our patient continues to receive a single 90 mg intramuscular injection doses of Ustekinumab in the office every 12 weeks and she is monitored for side effects throughout, including but not limited to nasopharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infection, headache, fatigue and nausea. [source, 2015]
In this setting, several biologics, including Ustekinumab, a monoclonal antibody that targets the p40 subunit of IL-12/23434445 or monoclonal antibodies targeting IL-17 or its receptor such as secukinumab, ixekizumab and brodalumab46 represent potential candidates for maintenance therapy in BP patients by allowing the reduction of the cumulative doses of CS by rapidly tapering and stopping them after disease control. [source, 2015]